First time here?

If you are here for the first time I recommend starting with the first post and working your way up. So you can understand the whole story.

The date of my kidney transplant was Sept 14, 2010 .


Sunday, September 12, 2010

The count down continues...

It is now two days before I am scheduled to have my kidney transplant. This is the closest I have ever been before, which makes this an exciting time. Two months ago I was scheduled to have the transplant but four days before, I was postponed.

I went to the doctor for all my pre-operation stuff on Thursday and it was a pretty routine set up. The lab for blood-work, meet with the surgeon, get admitted to the hospital, EKG and x-ray. I was also pre screened for the bloodbank and am now wearing a bracelet with some number on it to quickly be able to match blood in case I need it for some reason. I am hoping that will not be an issue.

The doctors gave me a small blue bottle of soap that I am supposed to use the night before and the morning of the surgery. Although with a 5am appointment to show up at the hospital, I am not looking forward to waking up at 4am to take a shower with special soap. But a small sacrifice is worth it for sure.

I did go to church today. It was a great day. So many people supportive and offering prayers for me. My favorite line was from Lori, "We are gonna give God a headache on Tuesday with all the prayers." Many people were surprised to see me at church, since I am taking the immune-suppresive drugs already. I was extra careful though, after shacking hands with people making sure to wash my hands or use antibacterial gel.

I wonder when I will start to get really nervous. I am not nervous yet, especially since I go to the doctor and/or hospital so much that it just seems routine so far. I am willing to bet that Tuesday morning may be the time for the butterflies to start fluttering around. I wonder if I will sleep well on Monday night? At least I will have the chargers game to keep me distracted while on my final dialysis session.

Ah, final dialysis session. Now that has a nice ring to it!

Well, the countdown continues...

1 comment:

  1. Mike,
    We are praying for you. Thank you for all that you do for everyone. You are a special person in our lives. Tomorrow will be a wonderful day! We can't wait to see you when you are all healthy! What an exciting time and God bless the amazing, terrific, incredible, selfless, wonderful donor... we don't know who you are but we love you and what you are doing for Mike and his family!!!!! You are an inspiration!!! Lisa, Joe, Vaill, and Joey

    ReplyDelete